Making a decision to try scalp cooling
scalp cooling right choice
Making your decision
Below is a simple 6 question survey that you can do yourself to help you decide if you wish to give scalp cooling a try.
Before you complete this simple exercise it is important that you have had enough information about scalp cooling and the opportunity to ask your nurse any questions about scalp cooling.
Suggested information sources:
Talk with your oncology team
Find out what scalp cooling manufacturer your hospital uses and read their guide
Read our section What is scalp cooling – the basics.
Once you have a better understanding of the practical, emotional and actual process of scalp cooling you may find it helpful to answer the questions below:
Making your decision – is scalp cooling the right choice for me?
Scalp cooling – helpful key questions for you to answer:
1. Am I prepared to allow the additional time needed for scalp cooling?
2. Am I happy to leave the hospital with damp hair?
3. Do I feel able to endure any discomfort/coldness?
4. Am I prepared to alter my current hairstyle if needed?
5. Having considered other options for dealing with hair loss do I feel that saving my hair is a priority for my personal confidence and daily quality of life?
6. And finally – is scalp cooling the right choice for me?
Don’t know – if you are still unsure then discuss this with your nurse, contact us or your scalp cooling manufacturer/provider.
Yes – if you have decided to give scalp cooling a try then we will offer you guidance throughout your scalp cooling and hair care experience. Take a look at our guidance about every Scalp cooling topic from preparing for your first treatment, right through to moving on once treatment has finished.
No – if you have decided that scalp cooling isn’t for you, may we suggest that you consider other options for covering up. Take a look in our Chemotherapy guide.
Next planned review: February 2022