Introduction to specialist scarves, hats & headwear
Specialist scarves, hats & headwear
Specialist headwear is designed specifically for the purpose of benefiting people who are experiencing hair loss. Some people may wish to conceal hair loss, for others they want to ensure they cover their scalp and protect their head from the elements. Within specialist headwear you will find scarves, bandanas, hats, turbans and other designs which are available in a range of fabrics and styles.
Until faced with coping with hair loss, most people have never seen a specialist scarf or hat. Specialist headwear has been designed with particular features in mind to help hide and cover your scalp and hair line. They are normally available from wig suppliers, oncology units, web sites and some department stores.
There is nothing to say that you can’t wear regular headwear but, unlike everyday head wear, specialist wear has been made specifically for hair loss wearers. They normally offer special benefits and features such as:
- Designed to be extra secure and stay on without slipping or coming undone
- Cover the head and hair line to disguise hair loss
- Fabrics and design for comfort and ease of wearing
- Can offer the illusion of hair such as with a synthetic Velcro on fringe attached to a hat or scarf
- Shape your head. For example, added fabric to twist and shape round the head or shaped design features with padding or structure
- Offer complete cover of hair line, nape of neck and forehead
- Offer a good alternative to a wig
There is nothing to say that you must have a specialist item, it is a matter of personal choice. Many people create amazing headwear with their own scarves and fabric. But if you are not very good at that sort of thing or want a fail-safe option then specialist headwear offers you an item especially fit for your needs.
Browse through Step by step – get the look for ideas and inspiration.
Next planned review: February 2025