How does my spa become a Hair Loss Friendly Spa?
Hair Loss Friendly Spa - Therapist Guide (at a glance)
Thank you for being so kind to take the time to watch our training videos to discover ways to support women who are hair free due to cancer treatments (or for any other reason). The Hair Loss Friendly Spa campaign aims to help caring spa operators and owners to offer thoughtful touches - such as a wig stand, head scarves and access to specific scalp care guidance to help women with hair loss feel truly welcomed and nurtured.
This ‘Hair Loss Friendly Spa - Therapist Guide’ has been developed to help signpost you to resources that can help to develop your support for women during hair loss, enhance the service you offer and offer some helpful tips.
May we kindly recommend that you watch our Hair Loss Friendly Spa training videos that will offer you insights and expert ideas. This guidance sheet can then support your knowledge.
5 Top tips for offering women who is ‘hair free’ a nurturing and supportive therapy
- Kind and thoughtful language - When referring to hair loss on the head women have told us that replacing the word ‘bald’ with caring words such as ‘hair free’, bare’ or simply ‘scalp area’ is a kinder use of words.
- Comfort and dignity - Offering a cosy hat designed for hair loss can offer comfort, help to maintain body temperature and put a women at ease. A warm towel wrapped with care around the scalp will also offer comfort.
- Wig stand - It really does make such a difference to offer a wig stand or thoughtful place (e.g. organza bag) for a woman to hang or place her wig.
- Oils and creams - If using oils or creams on the scalp find out if your guest is planning to wear headwear or a wig after their treatment. You can then plan to ensure that any slippery oils or creams are cleansed from the scalp at the end of treatment to avoid residue or a slippery surface for a wig.
- Scalp care - When testing a product for the scalp it can be ideal to try products on your arm - assuming that you may have some fine hairs here. This replicates the scalp as even when hair free many scalps have some fine hairs. Additionally in most cases after chemotherapy is complete new hair will start to grow. Oils and creams that are light and can be absorbed into the skin and fine hairs are idea. Many women will wear wigs or headwear and so moisture products need to be light so that the scalp does not become sticky.
4 key nourishing ingredients for scalp care
Aloe Vera gels offer an ideal light covering for the scalp that is non sticky and easily absorbed. Ideal for wig wearers. Aloe Vera offers the scalp cell rejuvenation and helps dry and flaky scalps.
A tiny dab of coconut oil can offer a bare scalp a light moisture layer and coat new hair without weighing it down. A fantastic kitchen table product.
For painful scalps Tea Tree can offer comfort and help to ease irritations.
Known for its follicle stimulation properties, Rosemary can help to provide an ideal platform for new hair growth and skin rejuvenation.
*Kind reminder that essential oils such as Rosemary must be diluted. It is therefore ideal to recommend products that are already diluted such as pre mixed oils, shampoo or conditioners containing Rosemary essential oil.
Snap & Share - Please let us know if you are offering caring touches to women with hair loss. Maybe you have just placed a wig stand in your spa or have watched our training video. We would love to signpost women to you and shout about you in our blogs and social media. Take a snap of you i your spa and send drop us an email to let us know what you are up to.
Hair Loss Friendly Spa - Therapist Support Pack & Kit
Get in touch to find out about our packs containing wigs stands, headwear, leaflets and helpful resources.
For further ‘hair Loss Friendly Spa’ information as well as hair loss support and information for you and your guest take a look at our website www.cancerhaircare.co.uk
The campaign will offer its expertise in a bespoke way for the entirety of each guest’s spa journey – from booking through to comprehensive post-treatment support.
Our FREE videos and resources are available now.
Please support the campaign:Please get in touch by emailing us. We want to share with you our latest Hair Loss Friendly Spa news and training and would love to know all about you as a therapist and your spa or treatments. We will be featuring different therapists and spas on a regular basis to spotlight the fantastic support you offer.
Contact us so that we can connect and get you on-board.