Finding a good wig supplier
There is a large variation of wigs available so that whatever your hair type, skin colour, age and style there is something out there to suit you. While it is possible to buy wigs from many different sources such as department stores, high street stores, mail order, hair salons and online shopping sites - a professional wig supplier is the person who will have most experience to offer you the widest variety of options.
NHS wig supplier
Did you know that there is no such thing as an NHS wig? The NHS do not make wigs - they outsource the supply to various wig shops. You are most likely to be given a prescription (letter) which refers you to a local wig supplier. You normally have to pay around £60 - £80 towards the cost but you may also be entitled to an exemption, which means a completely free wig will be provided. Read more about NHS wig supply.
Private wig supplier
You can also visit a private wig supplier. As wigs are becoming a more mainstream fashion item, it is important to find a supplier who has experience in advising people with hair loss and those going through cancer treatments (as it is completely different from being just a fashion accessory). These individuals are trained to offer this service and normally do so with care, compassion and empathy for your situation.
Most hair loss wig suppliers will provide the following services – but do check:
- A private area
- Allow you to bring a friend
- Cutting and colour services for preparation for hair loss and your new growth
- A return service if your wig is unworn (within a certain time frame) for an exchange
- Some, but not all, offer a choice of NHS funded wigs
- A variety of real and synthetic hair wigs
- Customising of your wig to suit your face shape (cutting is normally included within the wig price)
- A return visit after you have been wearing your wig for a few weeks to make any adjustments and recommendations
- Cleaning and styling of real hair wigs
- Sale of specialist headscarves and head wear
- Sale of accessories and wig care items
- Hairpieces, extensions and clip in pieces
Next planned review: February 2020