Top tips finding natural looking False Lashes
False eyelashes offer you the option to change your style and add definition to your features. Many people assume that you need lashes to attach false eyelashes to, but this is not the case. False lashes attach to the outside lid of the eye and not to the lash itself. Not only do false lashes offer you a discreet way to keep your treatment and hair loss private, but also helps to protect the eye from dust and irritation.
False lashes have never been more in demand and are a current fashion trend. This makes false lashes readily available in many different colours and styles. From high street chemists, online suppliers, salons and department stores to wig suppliers and hair loss clinics, you will find something to suit you.
With a bit of practice they are easy to use, cost effective and can offer you a great way to feel a bit more like yourself, or maybe offer you a bit of glamour for a night out or special occasion.
Types of lashes
There really is a huge range of false lashes available. Depending on what type of definition you are looking for will indicate what type of lashes to invest in.
As well as temporary lashes that you apply and remove daily (before sleeping) there are also semi permanent lashes that are designed to last anywhere from 2-3 days or longer. You can sleep and swim with them on. At the time of writing, these need to be attached to your own stable and strong lashes, so are not suitable for people during hair loss and treatment. However, once treatment is complete, and sufficient new lash growth is stable (only a very small growth is needed), then semi-permanent lashes may be an option.
Because of the current trend in false lashes you may not be able to see past the rows of dramatic sparkling lashes on offer, but there are many that look very natural.
Here are our top tips for finding natural looking lashes:
- Look for lashes that use the words ‘fine’, ‘natural’ or ‘feather weight’
- It’s good to know that you can cut the width of the lashes (not the individual lash but the lid length) to fit your eye.
- Even if you normally wear black mascara you may like to opt for a lighter colour such as dark brown, brown or dark blonde.
- Glasses wearers may like to choose lashes that are shorter in individual lash length so they feel comfortable close to the
- lenses of their glasses.
- You don’t need to wear any other eye make-up when wearing false lashes.
- Practice wearing your lashes around the house before wearing them outside for the first time.
- Good quality lashes will be re-usable 4 to 5 times with enough adhesive for several applications.
- Pre-glued options can be great for people new to lash wearing as they are less fiddly.
Many women tell us that they decide to take the opportunity to wear dramatic and flamboyant eyelashes as a way of bringing some extra sparkle and style to their look. If you are wearing a headscarf, or beautifully bare, or perhaps looking for something for an extra special occasion then the huge range of lashes to exaggerate and accentuate your eyes is an Aladdin’s cave off creativity and flutter.
- If you are missing the normal volume that your hair on your scalp would give you, opting for some full, long and deep false
- lashes can give you new depth to your face shape
- False lashes with an extra long lash at the edge will elongate your eye shape
- Try lashes with jewels and glitter for an extra special sparkle
- Remember you can cut the length of the lashes at the edge if they are too long along the eye lid
Tips for putting on false lashes and lash care
When it comes to putting on false lashes, practice really can make perfect. See our tips below for guidance and ideas.
- Make a cuppa! Watch guidance ‘how to video’s' so that you get an idea of how to attach the lashes
- Practice, practice, practice! Make time to practice and wear your lashes - don’t give up, persevere and keep trying
- Lash buddy - if you are finding it difficult ask a friend to help
- Make sure you have clean hands to start with and have some make-up wipes or a damp flannel handy to wipe off any adhesive spillage
- Easy option - pre-glued options can be great for people new to lash wearing as they are less fiddly
- Applicator - lash applicators can be really helpful as the applicator holds the lash in place and is less fiddly then holding it with your finger tips
- Close up - invest in a two sided magnifying mirror that gives you a good close up on your eyes – ideal for those who wear glasses or are partially sited
- Lash length - it’s really important to get the right lash length (that is the length of your eye lid). If the lashes stick out beyond your eye they may be less well secured. Simply snip off any length that is too long
- Finish with lashes - complete your other base and eye make-up first, before applying your lashes
- Storage - keep your lash box so that you can re-use your lashes. If you take time to remove and store them, good quality lashes will last for 4 to 5 uses
- Sensitive skin - some people find that their skin is more sensitive then normal, or may have sensitivity to the latex adhesive glue that is commonly used to attach false lashes. Help is at hand as the brand Eyelure make latex-free lash adhesive. Additionally, do a patch test first to see if you have sensitivity to the glue.
Next planned review: February 2020